Over the past 40 years of ministry I have read the Prayer of Jabez found in I Chronicles 4: 9 & 10 dozens if not hundreds of times. I have read countless articles, sermons, and even a book on this prayer. However, with all that is happening in the world the Lord has drawn me to this prayer daily for the past two weeks.
1 Chronicles 4:9-10 in NKJV reads:
9 Now Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, “Because I bore him in pain.” 10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So, God granted him what he requested.
As I read this short prayer, I realized that Jabez was a man of passion and also felt a personal close relationship to God, which allowed him to come into his presence and ask.
As I have read and meditated on this prayer God showed me a couple of things, that I feel are relevant for each of us today.
1. We must be Honorable (a right relationship with God) every moment of our life.
2. As we pray ask (personalize it) for the desires of your hearts. Notice Jabez prayed!
a. If only you will bless me!
· Throughout all the battles we face in life physical, emotional, financial, relationships, etc. We understand the reality is clear that what we really need is God blessing today and every day.
b. Extend my boarder!
· God expand my business, ministry, sphere of influences so all that you do glorifies God.
c. Let your hand be with me!
· God I can’t accomplish anything with out you, so please take my hand and lead me where you want me, and stay with me throughout all of life’s challenges.
d. Keep me from harm!
· In the midst of danger, pandemics, and troubles keep me safe, so that I will be able to rejoice in the glory of your safety.
e. So that, I will not cause any pain!
· So that I will not cause pain to others, especially so that I do not lead other’s astray in the relationship with you, or make other’s miss knowing you by my actions. Or cause pain to those that I love in my actions, or words.
f. God grant this request!
· Amen! Amen!