I have been teaching a course at the Grace Church of the Valley School of Ministry where I have the privilege serving as President. I was recently asked by one of my students what books I would recommend for her to read to help her be more effective as a Christian Counselor or as some put it in the non-professional realm “People Helper”
So as I thought about it I came up with 14 of my favorite books by Christian Counselor’s and Pastors. It is very important to remember that a book can be really good and have some great information and insight. However, that doesn’t mean that I agree with everything the writer’s state. All of the books listed below are books that I have used over the course of 25 years in the field of Christian Counseling and continue to use today in my role as Chaplain.
1) The Bible For Hope (Caring for People God’s Way) NKJV BIBLE / Formerly Titled: THE SOUL CARE BIBLE / AACC 2011 Edition2011 by AACC and Tim Clinton
· I have used this Bible throughout my counseling experience and have found it to be very practical and insightful.
2) Listening for Heaven’s Sake; Building Healthy Relationships with God, Self and Others. By Dr. Gary Sweeten, Dave Ping and Anne Chippard.
· I have known these three individuals personally for over two decades, and would highly recommend this book.
3) Hope and Change for Humpty Dumpty: Successful Steps to Healing, Growth and Discipleship by Gary Sweeten and Steve Griebling
· I have known these two gentlemen and worked with them on a number projects over the years and would highly recommend this book.
4) Christian Counselor; A Comprehensive Guide (current edition) by Dr. Gary R. Collins.
5) Christ Centered Therapy; The Practical Integration of Theology and Psychology by Neil T. Anderson, Terry E and Julianne S Zuehlke.
6) Competent to Counsel, Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling
7) How to Help People Change, The Four-Step Biblical Process by Jay E. Adams
8) How to Be a People Helper by Dr. Gary Collins
9) Quick Scripture Reference for Counseling by John G. Kruis
10) Introduction to Psychology and Counseling: Christian Perspectives and Applications by Paul D. Meier and Frank B. Minirth
11) Effective Biblical Counseling: A Model for Helping Caring Christians Become Capable Counselors by Larry Crabb
12) Basic Principles of Biblical Counseling By Larry Crabb
13) The Quick-Reference Guide to Biblical Counseling by Dr. Tim Clinton and Dr. Ron Hawkins
14) The Billy Graham Christian Worker's Handbook: A Topical Guide with Biblical Answers to the Urgent Concerns of Our Day by Charles G. Ward (Editor)